Director of Food Innovation, QA, & Regulatory
Onsite - Executive / Leadership - Direct Placement - Job ID: 23-03583
Location: Beloit, WI (must be able to work onsite 5 days/week)
Hire Type: Direct Hire
Compensation: $110,000 Base Salary + Bonus (20% Target) + Benefits
Reports To: SVP of Marketing & Food Innovation
Leads core product improvements and new product innovation, from development to commercialization. Manages all aspects of frozen supply chain including procurement, warehouse, specs, QA, pricing, and product acceptance system. Key QA and regulatory oversight of internal manufacturing; including requirement of solid understanding of FDA regulations, SQF, FSMA and associated HACCP requirements. Management of ingredient specifications and leadership toward alternate ingredients is also a key job function. Custom formulation of coatings and marinades is an additional deliverable required from this group. This position and this group are expected to be the food experts for the company, which includes complete knowledge of our trademark food programs. Expertise in fried chicken across its many forms must be available from this group. Lastly, there are technical support requirements for the Sales and Marketing groups. One of the key deliverables for this position is national tradeshow booth planning and execution for all food. Overall, this position is a critical management position in this company and the individual must be able to effectively influence the direction and performance of all food and programs.
• Leads traditional research and development of new and existing food and supply products, from influencing concepts, product development, testing, and commercialization.
• Manages the frozen food supply system, including establishing new food processing partners, management of existing processors, and negotiating of pricing against volume and specifications.
• Establish or maintain food distribution for all existing and new products, establishing warehouses where needed, and shipping procedures.
• Determines pricing structure of food products and assures company margins are aligned with Business Plan.
• Oversee quality assurance and quality control activities for all products.
• Monitors our customers' needs and satisfaction on all of our OEM food items, especially marinades to pre-inject fresh poultry processors and complete breading systems to frozen processors.
• Acts as one of the key contacts for FDA and Department of Agriculture inspections as well as third parties' audits (SQF). Must be a SQF champion.
• Oversight of development and enforcement of regulatory requirements such as label compliance/development, vendor/supplier records and product specifications and Halal records/certification.
• Review and communicate current & emerging regulatory requirements (e.g., US and international regulations and guidelines).
• Oversight in preparation, coordination, manage and maintain various documents including but not limited to export documentation, product specification documents, SDS sheets, allergen and nutritional information.
• Assists with design and execution of company trade shows, both regional and national.
• Provides technical support in establishing Company sales budgets, and assuring budgets are maintained as planned.
• Works in concert with Sales, Marketing, Food Innovations, Manufacturing and Distribution in all efforts of protecting and growing our new and existing licensed trademark operators.
• Tracks the product sales activity and determines product needs in concert with Sales and Distribution for promotion or development to meet the needs of our short and long-range Business Plans. Collaborates with sales, marketing, and customer service on managing all food portfolios.
• Enforces producer/vendor credit controls according to Company policies.
• Maintains appropriate communications within area of responsibility. Keeps employees informed as to Company Plans, Department Plans and progress.
• Lives the company culture and values. Makes the development of team members a priority.
• Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline like Food Science, Food Technology, or Food Engineering. Other B.S. degrees or above may be acceptable pending food manufacturing experience.
• A minimum of 5 years' experience in management is a requirement.
• Food development and Quality Assurance experience required.
• Must be comfortable working with foodservice equipment, especially frying platforms.
• Knowledge of fried chicken products and processes is a bonus.
• SQF Practitioner Certification (optional)
• PCQI Certification (optional)
• HACCP Certification (optional)
• Effective communication skills to all levels inside and outside organization.
• Drive for Results mindset.
• Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
• Must be able to operate a computer and be proficient with Microsoft office products.
• Willingness and ability to travel extensively (20%).
• Valid driver's license and safe driving record required.
• Must be able to sit or stand for up to 4 hours at a time.
• Must be able to visit and work at select food processing plants.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP.