Onsite - Niche - Direct Placement - Job ID: 23-62516
Title: Automation Controls Engineer
Location: Houston, TX 77067 (Hybrid)
Duration: Permanent, Direct-Hire
Work Requirements: US Citizen, GC Holders or Authorized to Work in the US. 3rd party candidates represented by sub-vendors will not be considered.
Top Skills Required:
- Beckhoff experience
- Strong skills in automation controls design
Qualified candidate should send their resume (Word format) to Nate Ackerman at email@example.com.
The Automation Developer will be part of a team developing automation solutions for the drilling industry. In this position the candidate will deploy projects, interface with customers in various stages of the project, develop electrical and controls system design solutions based on engineering principles, and provide technical support to external and internal customers.
Will be responsible for project success as a project leader or as part of a project team, ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed, interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems, and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget.
- Act as Automation Developer with role of designing and developing software for drilling applications based on given requirements and specification. Have a good understanding of basic machine controls which include induction motor control using AC Drives, MCCs, hydraulic/pneumatic and valve controls.
- Control software development will also include developing machine control algorithms for PLC based systems. HMI design and implementation, instrumentation and sensor interface, data logging, and communication interfaces with other industrial processors like PLC's.
- Duties will include generation of Design documentation, PLC Code, HMI applications, Bill of Materials, Network Architectures, One Line Drawing, Operations manuals.
- Responsible of sustaining current rig applications and debugging / fixing issues that are reported in the field. This could be by answering calls and working with technicians, remotely connecting to rig system and troubleshoot, or by traveling to the rig site and working with rig personnel to fix the issue.
- Project lead on commissioning and rig deployments.
- Technical consultant to business stake holders, assist in gathering requirements from customers.
- Maintain product safety in all designs.
- Perform design prototyping, including field implementing and testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of communication networks and wiring issues with PLCs and other NW components.
- Support management on intellectual property issues.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Controls Engineering or equivalent field or relative software development experience.
- 4-6 years of experience in a software engineering environment, developing controls and automation software in Rockwell or Siemens systems.
- Minimum 5 years in automation
- Previous experience with controlling heavy rotating equipment using induction motors
- Experience in the drilling industry
- PLC: RSLogix 5000, SLC 500, Omrom, Wago, Beckhoff.
- HMI: Factory Talk View. Understanding for Rockwell software suite.
- Understanding of Hydraulics/ Pneumatics, AC drives and controls a plus (ABB/ Converteam/ Yaskawa)
- Knowledge of industrial communication protocols, including OPC, MODBUS, Ethernet IP, and Profibus required.
- Software design and development experience.
- Ability to read electrical schematics.
- Understanding of various communication protocols Profibus, Modbus, OPC, Ethernet IP, etc.
- Strong hands-on hardware troubleshooting and software debugging skills.
- Basic knowledge of Cisco switches and configurations.
- Project management and presentation skills.
- Ability to extract and document requirements from user problem description
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions:
- While this position is primarily based in a professional office environment
- Travel to yards and rigs is essential and required
- 25% travel is expected
- The position supports drilling rigs that work 24/7 and will routinely require phone availability outside regular work hours
About INSPYR Solutions:
As a leading information technology partner, we connect top IT talent with our clients to provide innovative business solutions through our IT Staffing, Professional Services, and Infrastructure Solutions divisions. We understand and value the unique needs of highly-skilled information technology professionals in the industry and always strive to stay above the curve. Our company was founded on the following core values: Be the Best, Understand the Urgency, Never Ever Give Up, Have the Courage to Excel, and Make a Contribution. We take pride in our business model and strive to create a positive workplace environment through an exemplary culture.
INSPYR Solutions provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, INSPYR complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP.